Saturday 9 March 2013

Pavement's Revenge (2)

Now it probably seems like I have some kind of vendetta against Turkish pavement, but I swear it is out to get me.

Early last year, in a cold winter period, I went for a run in the snow. As I approached Zincirlikuyu, this evil patch of paving, hiding under the snow, grabbed my foot and threw me to the floor. (The photo on the left was taken a few days later, once the snow had cleared)

I stood up and found that my arm wasn't moving properly, as it had popped out of it's socket. 

Fortunately, I was by a cab rank, and a helpful taxi driver took me to the nearest hospital. I say "helpful", he then proceeded to follow me in to the hospital to chase me for the 3 lira I had left out of his fare* (I'd chosen not to take much money out with me, as I was running).

What followed was a farcical debacle where I was left alone for a couple of hours waiting for the doctor, who strolled in and informed me - using his years of medical training and knowledge - that I had dislocated my shoulder. The next couple of hours was spent waiting for the hospital to communicate with my insurance company. 

Meanwhile, I tried to exhibit a shining example of British reservedness, but instead found screaming at just about anybody in the building, demanding they "just put my f****** arm back, now!!" 

Eventually I was wheeled to the operating theatre for the reduction procedure. The last thing I remembered before being knocked out was the surgeon connecting me to the wrong drip, before correcting his mistake and sending me to sleep.

I went back to the scene of the crime a few weeks later, arm in sling, and there it was, the despicable, violent patch of pavement, neatly relaid and smoothed out.

Sitting there, grinning at me, pretending nothing had happened.

I hate it.

(* not a standard representation of all Turkish cab drivers)

ZPQKA4V22QTW

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally understand, my friend. Göztepe pavement is responsible for the scar on my left knee, Kadiköy for the right, Taksim for the elboy, and Mecediyeköy for the scars from the (rather botched) hand surgery. Geçmiş olsen, and whatever you do, don't let your guard down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, it has been a year but my shoulder never fully recovered, despite a few months of physio. I'm paranoid about the pavement here now.

    I saw a disabled guy wheeling himself along in his wheelchair by 4 Levent yesterday, over bumps, holes, cracks, and other evil pavements. How do wheelchair users manage it? It seems like an impossible lifestyle in this city.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dan, I enjoyed your posts on Istanbul! Do you have an email address I can contact you on? Thanks :-)

    ReplyDelete